1. Why should I come to you for my actor headshots?
I'm pretty nice with mine......did you not get the memo?
Seriously, I have approximately 8 years working at the craft of photography. Out of those 8 years, 5 have been devoted to headshot photography. And, out of that 5, I've devoted 4 years to actor headshot photography almost exclusively. In this time, I've made an effort to learn from the actors that I've worked with, and implement their valuable knowledge to my skillcraft.
When you come to me, you're not coming to "just some guy with a camera". You're coming to someone that desires knowledge to inform his actions, and to help you build images that will enhance your actor's toolbox.
2. I need work, can you hook me up with a talent agent, or an audition?
No, I can't. But, I can help you with resources that can make the process a bit more easier to understand and work to your advantage.
3. What do you recommend, clothing- wise?
This is one of those questions that is both simple and complicated all at the same time. In fact, I could write a very long blog post about this particular subject. But for sanity sake, I'l save the long form for the blog:
1. Pick what looks good on you, and fits you. If you don't trust your sense of style, get someone whose opinion you value to help you on this end.
2. Try for colors that contrast as well as compliment you. Not too crazy in the color department, but something with some decent pop. Avoid big, noticeable patterns unless the role you're going for is looking for that.
3. Make sure your gear is cleaned and pressed for your session. Nothing screams, " I'm totally not a pro" than having clothes that are wrinkled and look dirty on you.
There's so much more granular we can get, but you'll just have to wait for the blog
4. Do you offer hair and makeup services?
No, unfortunately I don't. But I do know a very good MUA that can help with your needs.
5. Do you curse like a sailor?
No I don't curse like a sailor........I curse like a grunt; BIG DIFFERENCE.
6. I'm getting into acting, and need headshots. What acting headshot package do you suggest?
After doing this for some time, and working with a variety of people, I've come to realize that one size does not fit all. As a result, I now offer a starting rate of 179.99 for Actor Headshot session. Price covers reservation fee, session time, and 2 retouched image files. Additional retouched images are available for for 74.99 per retouched file, from your image gallery. This insures that you get and pay for only what you need.
7. What kinds of retouching you do?
Diminish/ remove temporary scars and/ or blemishes,
Mild whitening of eyes and teeth, if needed,
Global and local exposure adjustments,
(Maximum 2 adjustment requests per file)
8. How long do Actor Headshot sessions run?
Sessions have a max run-time of 2 hour per session depending on service purchased, but often end sooner. This all dependent on number of changes of clothing, as well as the overall tempo of the session.
8a. what if I need more time than an hour for my Actor Headshot session?
Additional time can be purchased at a cost of 24.99 per 1/2 hour. Purchase can be made at time of booking the session, or during the course of your session, provided there are no other folks coming in immediately after you, and does not interfere with required sanitization of studio space before the next session. If any of the above terms cannot be met, you can reserve another date/ time at reduced cost. Please note Reservation Fees are non refundable.
9. Do you guarantee that I will get roles from your headshots?
No, unfortunately; not even the very well connected headshot photographers can promise that. That determination is made by Casting, and they have their own set of rules that they go by to determine who gets a shot at a role vs who doesn't. That said, I do offer resources that can help you get an edge when it comes to dealing with them.
10. Do you offer photography discounts from time to time?
Yes I do! Acting school students, and/ or college students taking up acting courses are eligible for up to a 25% discount. Proof of attendance in either college or acting school/ actor coaching session reacquired.
11. Do you offer to shoot on location?
Yes, I do offer that service. A non refundable fee of 149.99 is required to do location shoots. Location shoots are limited to Brooklyn, and Manhattan, only. Location fee is independent of the reservation fee; both must be paid at least 1 week in advance of the session.
12. You offer a refund if I am not satisfied with the results of the photography session/ Is that true?
Yes. Let me explain in more detail...
Upon completion of the session, you and I will sit down and look at the images, or, if you're not able, then you'll have the gallery to make your choices from. If during the search you find that you are not happy with any of the images, you have 2 options;
1) reschedule for another session at no additional cost to you, I can only do the revisit once, and it must be done at my home studio.
2) request a refund, less the Reservation Fee, (and Location Fee if the session was done outside of my home studio). You will no longer have access to the images after the refund is issued. Additionally, you will be required to sign an agreement that what images you did receive will not be used under any conditions since you were not happy with them.
11. Am i required to sign a contract in order to do a acting headshot session?
Yes, however, the contract is designed to be very simple to read and understand. Contract must be approved, and signed off by you prior to any session, otherwise the session cannot go into effect, and the day is re-opened to other potential clients.
13. I've never gotten acting headshots before, and and I'm nervous about what to do. What do I do?
This is the part I love so much. You have nothing to worry about since I will be working with you to get you looking good for your actor headshots. Pretty much all you need to do is show up, and leave the heavy lifting to me! :thumbsup:
14. I'm not an actor, but I still want headshots, Can you help me?
I'm concerned about COVID-19 (aka Corona Virus). What steps do you have in place to insure my safety?
Broad scope guidance as per CDC and NY State will be available soon. In the meantime, this is what you can expect from me in the meantime:
1. Sessions will be available to be done either indoors or outdoors either at or nearby my home studio. Outdoor sessions close to studio are contingent on weather conditions. Efforts will be made to work in a location that is not only safe, but will not hamper your need to be photographed without a mask. In the event all the above mentioned conditions cannot be satisfied,, session will either have to be done in home studio or postponed until a later date.
Location shoots of your choosing are also permitted. Be advised certain locations may require a paid permit to work in that space; client is responsible for paying for and getting the permit(s) An additional non- refundable Location Fee of 149.99 is required, and must be paid in advance of session.
In the event session must be conducted within the home studio, photographer will wear a mask at all times during the session, and maintain 6ft distance.
2. Commonly used surfaces will be cleaned before and after each session. Average time to clean surfaces runs approximately 20-45 minutes. Because of the extra time required to insure your safety and piece of mind, a maximum of 3 sessions can be conducted each Friday. Hand sanitizer will be made available to you upon entry and departure from home studio.
3. In the past, clients were allowed to sit with me to select their headshot. That has changed. From now until there is a safe resolution to the virus, client will receive their gallery within 24 hours of session completion (barring any unforeseen circumstance, of course). Further meetings will be held over phone or via video conferencing (platform to be determined).
Now, what is expected of you?
Prior to the booking of any session, you will need to sign a waiver, in addition to any contracts and other agreements. Waiver essentially states that you understand the inherent risk of contact with someone infected. and that you, your family (close or extended) will not hold me, my employees/ contractors/ resident dwellers, or the physical space itself liable for any possible injury you may incur as a result of working with me in the studio space.
Finally, and until further notice, all sessions are by appointment only. No exceptions